YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A HABITAT A HOME
Zoo lights adult night.
Love Makes a Habitat a Home.
As a non-profit conservation organization, Denver Zoo is dedicated to providing authentic, loving homes for the amazing animals under our care—and their counterparts in the wild. Donate any amount today to join the passionate community of people who make this work possible!
Take Denver Zoo Home With You
Your purchases helps us save wildlife here and around the world.
Latest News & Stories
Your source for all things Denver Zoo, from first-person accounts from our animal keepers and veterinarians, to stories from our field conservationists doing work around the world, and everything in between.
Demonstration - african penguin, animal talk - lemur, demonstration - asian elephant, animal talk-otters, conservation talk - colorado, demonstration - predator ridge, educator talk-animal hospital, demonstration - llama, animal talk - gibbon & rhino, demonstration-amur tigers, animal talk - african buffalo.
Your visit supports our wildlife conservation efforts in Colorado + worldwide.
Add some awesome to your visit, become a member..
Expedia Rewards is now One Key™
Denver zoo tours and activities.
- Things to do
I only need accommodations for part of my trip
Visit Denver Zoo
In 1896, a small black bear named Billy Bryan was given to the mayor of Denver and the Denver Zoo was born. Today it has more than 80 acres (32 hectares) of habitats and, with more than 1.6 million visitors a year, is one of the most popular zoos in the United States.
More than 650 different species, about 200 of them threatened or endangered, are housed in enclosures almost identical to their natural habitat. Watch monkeys swing through trees, wolves prowl through a shaded wood and giraffes graze on an open field, all just a 10-minute drive from downtown Denver. It’s easy to get around either on foot or by taking the zoo’s train, which is both reasonably priced and environmentally friendly. Pull-along wagons for kids, strollers and wheelchairs are also available for rent.
One of the first points of call should be Bear Mountain. When the enclosure opened in 1918, it was the first naturalistic zoo animal habitat in North America. Today it’s considered a national historic landmark, with a collection of bears, including grizzlies and the adorable coati.
Predator Ridge offers a safe way to get close up to some of Africa’s most dangerous animals, including lions, African wild dogs and hyenas. The enclosure is a recreation of aspects of the Samburu National Reserve in Kenya.
The zoo lays claim to a number of records: the world’s only rhinoceros that paints with a brush (his artworks are displayed in the Pachyderm Building), the world’s largest indoor Komodo dragon exhibit and one of the largest habitats for endangered gorillas.
Daily feeding demonstrations draw hordes of curious onlookers. Check the timetable on the zoo’s official website to schedule them into the day. Stop for lunch at one of the restaurants, or pack a picnic. There are plenty of grassy knolls to sit on and large trees to relax under. In summer, between Memorial Weekend and Labor Day, there’s an extensive calendar of free programs, from wild encounters with reptiles to interactive bird shows. During the Christmas holiday season, the zoo hosts a spectacular light display. Millions of sparkling lights decorate the zoo along with animated animal sculptures.
Located within City Park, the Denver Zoo is a ten-minute drive from downtown, and there’s plenty of parking. It’s also easy to get to by light rail or bus.
Plan a trip to see Denver Zoo
The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Reviewed on Nov 1, 2023
The Rally Hotel at McGregor Square
Reviewed on Nov 5, 2023
Reviewed on Oct 30, 2023
Tours & day trips
Small Group Tour of Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods from Denver
Downtown Denver Food Tour
Shared Half-Day Mountain Tour in Red Rocks Evergreen and Echo Lake
Visit Red Rocks Park, Continental Divide & Breckenridge
Best of Denver Tour
Glacier Hiking & Geothermal Cave Pools + Pictures Day Tour in Idaho Springs
2 Hour LoDo Historic Walking Tour in Denver
Guided Hiking Tour in Colorado mountains
Denver Haunted Pub Walking Tour - LoDo
Twilight Ghost Tour
Private & custom tours.
Romantic Denver: A Couple's Tour
Denver's Spokes and Scoops: A Self-Guided Cycle Tour
Gotham Private Haunted Driving Ghost Tour in Denver, CO
Denver City 2 Hour Walking Private Tour
Private Pikes Peak Country And Garden of the Gods Tour from Denver
Colorado's Birds of Prey Full-Day with Lunch
Private custom tour of the foothills of Denver, Dillon and Breckenridge.
Private 4-Hour Driving Tour in Denver City
Denver’s Nature Escape: Rocky Mountain National Park
Private tour hiking to Saint Mary's Glacier, Red Rock and Hot Springs
Food, drink & nightlife.
Craft Beer Tour in Lower Downtown Denver
Denver: Downtown Food Walking Tour with Tastings
RiNo Arts District Food Tour
Pub Crawl Through Denver RiNo Arts District
The Dinner Detective Murder Mystery Dinner Show - Denver, CO
Private customized tour of Denver, Red Rocks, Golden and Boulder
Private 420 Tour in Denver
RiNo Beer and Graffiti Walking Tour in Denver
Denver CityPASS®: Admission to Top 3, 4, or 5 Denver Attractions
Rocky Mountain Zephyr Puzzle Room Experience
General Admission to Denver Botanic Gardens Ticket
Strike it Rich! Puzzle Room Experience
The Lighthouse Puzzle Room Experience
Pikes Peak Regional Wonders full day tour from Denver
Discover Denver with Local Stories from Autio
Puzzle Pirates Puzzle Room Experience For Kids
Nightingale Puzzle Room Experience
Holiday & seasonal tours.
Denver: Denver Terrors Ghost Tour
Denver: After Dark Ghosts of the City Walking Tour
Denver: All Ages Guided Ghost Walking Tour
Denver's Ghosts of Capitol Hill Walking Tour
Denver Guided Walking Ghost / History Tour at Capitol Hill
Reviews of denver zoo, 5/5 - excellent.
Gorilllas are at the beginning, just left of the entrance, dont pass them by!
arrive early for better parking
Elephant show was fantastic.
This is where I spent my 50th bday. Such wonderful memories were made.
Bring your own water and sunscreen!
We saw hardly any animals, very sad. I wish they stayed open later than 4 o'clock or if they close at 4 then keep grounds open until 6.
Popular places to visit
Many of Denver’s most popular attractions, including the Denver Zoo and Museum of Nature & Science, are located within this city hub.
Denver Museum of Nature and Science
You’ll find everything from Ancient Egypt, to dinosaurs, to space travel in a mix of hands-on and informative exhibits.
You can get tickets for a performance at Bluebird Theater during your stay in Denver. Experience the acclaimed art scene and fascinating museums in this vibrant area.
Denver Botanic Gardens
Designed as an urban oasis, you’ll find a peaceful respite among the hustle and bustle of the Mile High City.
You can make plans for a show at Ogden Theater on your trip to Denver. Experience the acclaimed theater scene or attend a sporting event in this vibrant area.
St. Ignatius Loyola
You can learn about the history of Denver with a trip to St. Ignatius Loyola. Amble around this vibrant area's picturesque gardens or experience its fascinating museums.
Best Lodging Options Near Denver Zoo
Check availability on hotels close to denver zoo.
- Vacations and getaways similar to Denver Zoo
- Other Hotels near Denver Zoo, City Park
- Hotels near popular Denver Attractions
- More Hotel Options in Denver Zoo
- Expedia's Latest Trends
- Union Station Vacations
- Red Rocks Amphitheater Vacations
- Empower Field at Mile High Vacations
- Colorado Convention Center Vacations
- Ball Arena Vacations
- Coors Field Vacations
- 16th Street Mall Vacations
- Cherry Creek Shopping Center Vacations
- University of Denver Vacations
- Denver Art Museum Vacations
- Elitch Gardens Theme Park Vacations
- Anschutz Medical Campus Vacations
- Denver Botanic Gardens Vacations
- The Children's Hospital Vacations
- Paramount Theater Vacations
- Flora House Denver
- Days Inn by Wyndham Denver Downtown
- Ideal for Large Groups: 6bd/7ba, Sleeps 18
- Hilton Denver City Center
- Sonesta Denver Downtown
- Grand Hyatt Denver
- Catbird Hotel
- Unique Historic Victorian Mansion near Downtown Denver, Sleeps 16.
- Staybridge Suites Denver Downtown, an IHG Hotel
- Vīb Hotel by Best Western Denver RiNo
- The Slate Denver, Tapestry Collection By Hilton
- The Art Hotel Denver, Curio Collection by Hilton
- Hotels near City Park
- Hotels near Union Station
- Hotels near Empower Field at Mile High
- Hotels near Colorado Convention Center
- Hotels near Ball Arena
- Hotels near Coors Field
- Hotels near 16th Street Mall
- Hotels near Cherry Creek Shopping Center
- Hotels near University of Denver
- Hotels near Denver Art Museum
- Hotels near Elitch Gardens Theme Park
- Hotels near Anschutz Medical Campus
- Hotels near Denver Botanic Gardens
- Hotels near The Children's Hospital
- Hotels near Paramount Theater
- Hotels near Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
- Hotels near Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Hotels near Buckley Air Force Base
- Hotels near The Shops At Northfield
- Hotels near Dick's Sporting Goods Park
- Business Hotels (294)
- Hotels & Resorts for Couples (270)
- Hotels with Restaurants (337)
- Hotels with a Gym (269)
- Hotels with a Pool (250)
Denver Zoo Audio Tour
- [email protected]
- More apps by this developer
- Listen to tour guides tell you fun facts about each zoo animal
- Learn things about the animal not found on the physical signage
- Enjoy learning without having to stop watching the animal
User data privacy, technical details.
- Access coarse (e.g., Cell-ID, Wi-Fi) location
- Access fine (e.g., GPS) location
- Access information about networks
- Required to be able to access the camera device
- Open network sockets
- Read only access to device state
- Record audio
- Write to external storage
Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them.
To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. It also analyzed reviews to verify trustworthiness.
- Sort reviews by Top reviews Most recent Top reviews
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. please try again later..
- Amazon Newsletter
- About Amazon
- Press Center
- Investor Relations
- Amazon Devices
- Amazon Science
- Start Selling with Amazon
- Sell apps on Amazon
- Supply to Amazon
- Protect & Build Your Brand
- Become an Affiliate
- Become a Delivery Driver
- Start a Package Delivery Business
- Advertise Your Products
- Self-Publish with Us
- Host an Amazon Hub
- › See More Ways to Make Money
- Amazon Visa
- Amazon Store Card
- Amazon Secured Card
- Amazon Business Card
- Shop with Points
- Credit Card Marketplace
- Reload Your Balance
- Amazon Currency Converter
- Your Account
- Your Orders
- Shipping Rates & Policies
- Amazon Prime
- Returns & Replacements
- Manage Your Content and Devices
- Your Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
- Conditions of Use
- Privacy Notice
- Your Ads Privacy Choices
Your browser is not supported for this experience. We recommend using Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari.
We strive to post the most current and accurate event information, but changes and cancellations do occur, so please check the official event website to confirm all details before attending.